Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Starting from Scratch

 


Welcome to my new garden.  It's a far cry from the set of 12" raised beds with drip irrigation that I had in my old place in California.  There's the outline of a bed that we put in for our tenants a number of years ago, with some hilled rows and a lot of weed debris.   I have big dreams, though:


The top of this diagram is the fence that you see on the right of the snow picture.  So the garden beds are perpendicular to the fence.  The garden planning software is from growveg.com, and I'm finding it to be really useful.  I can lay out irrigation and structures and choose from various cultivars, move things around, switch to irrigation-only or structure-only view, and get a parts list of things to build or plants to sow.  Really nice, and only $39/year subscription.  I have no connection with GrowVeg other than as a satisfied customer.

The beds are 3 ft wide by 8.5 ft long, and are arranged in pairs with a full size cattle panel trellis between them.  I will have large planters for herbs instead of an herb bed.  My experience with herb beds is that unless you are constantly trimming and pruning, one or two herbs (looking at you, sage, and you, fennel) will suddenly take over and crowd out everything else.  This should be easier to control in pots.  Plus the pots will have better drainage than in-ground planting, which should help my Mediterranean herbs cope with rainy Oregon winters.

The apple tree a few feet in front of the fence is a multi-graft espaliered apple tree that I will be picking up from One Green World nursery in Portland around mid-April, when it should be safe to plant it out.  I'm also getting a pair of fig trees, which will live in resin half wine barrels for the first few years until I figure out whether I want them planted in front of the fence or not (and whether we will be replacing the fence anytime soon).  I put my fig trees in the ground in California and they quickly grew out of control, which I don't want here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June begins... garden tour

 An annotated tour of the garden beds and plantings as of June 4th 2023... The lunchbox mini-peppers, planted in one of my large blue pots, ...